Here are the details:
Kevin and Dan Hageman, the prolific animation writers and producers, are strengthening their ties to CBS Studios. The brothers, showrunners of the studio’s Star Trek: Prodigy, have signed a multi-year overall production pact with the division.
- Under the production agreement, CBS Studios has the exclusive rights to produce all tv content created and developed by the duo.
- The Hagemans are the showrunners and executive producers on CBS Studios’ Star Trek: Prodigy, an upcoming animated series set to premiere on ViacomCBS’s new Paramount+ streamer before heading to Nickelodeon.
- The brothers are experienced writers in Hollywood animation. They picked up story credits on Sony’s Hotel Transylvania and Warner Bros.’s The Lego Movie, then wrote and executive-produced the spin-off series Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu for Cartoon Network.
- They also co-wrote Dreamworks’ recent Golden Globe nominee The Croods: A New Age, and served as co-executive producers and showrunners of Trollhunters, the Netflix series created by Guillermo del Toro for Dreamworks. The Hagemans won an Emmy for their writing on the show.
- Current projects include writing and executive-producing Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans, the film finale to the series; writing a live-action adaptation of Dragon’s Lair, the cult 1980s video game franchise co-created by Don Bluth; and writing a sequel to the 2019 live-action film Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, which they wrote from a story by del Toro.
- CBS Studios (formerly CBS Television Studios) entered animation production with 2018’s Our Cartoon President. The studio formed an animation division in 2019, placing svp of comedy development Alec Botnick at its head.
- The division has grown fast. Its slate now includes No Activity, Tooning out the News, Harper House, and Star Trek: Lower Decks. The creator of that last show, Mike McMahan, recently signed his own exclusive deal with the studio.