- The New York City-set film tells the story of Melody, an insecure young singer who faces off against a wicked pop queen named Rose Stellar. Aiding her in her quest, Melody controls seven musical notes that have magical qualities which keep her on a straight and narrow path.
- Jeremy Zag (Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug, Ghostforce) will direct and produce the film.
- Cross Creek’s Tyler Thompson will produce with Perry, Zag, and filmmaker Michael Gracey (The Greatest Showman, the upcoming Ladybug & Cat Noir Awakening).
- CAA Media Finance is handling global distribution and will bring the project to the Cannes Film Market. Rocket Science will co-represent on foreign sales.
- Perry has previously worked as a voice actress on animation projects. She famously voiced Smurfette in the recent Smurfs franchise reboot and made a cameo appearance on The Simpsons. The music video for her song “Smile” also features several animated sequences by Nathan Love.
- Perry will write and perform original songs in Melody.
I am a 37-year-old woman who still struggles with being insecure. I’ve come to realize that everyone is insecure, and that if you are not, I wonder if you have some negative characteristics because of that. I’m such a big fan of the animation world, and because my daughter is two years old, I am more immersed than ever before. What resonated for me with Melody and her character is the overall storyline that has to do with self-confidence. I’ve realized in laying the foundation for my own child to be fearless, confident, and brave, that you cannot have enough films with such strong themes of empowerment.
Zag added to Deadline:
It’s very complex, but after all these years I am happy I didn’t do it before because only now do I feel ready. Melody is someone who has to believe in herself, and in order to do that, she has to learn to love herself before considering how people look at her. Big pop stars live in golden castles, they’re famous with paparazzi all around, but for a little girl there is passion and fear. And I’ve never seen anyone as creative as Katy, who so personifies this character.
Perry told Deadline, which announced the project: