The Summit, which will take place at the Impérial Palace Hotel in Annecy, will be livestreamed and available to the public via WIA’s website, which will also host a recording of the event for later viewing.
Of this year’s Summit, WIA President Marge Dean said:
The day will kick off with a welcoming session hosted by Dean with Mickaël Marin, CEO of Annecy organizer CITIA, and Mifa head Véronique Encrenaz. After the welcome, Crommett will provide attendees with a detailed introduction to this year’s theme.
Inclusive Hiring: Solving the Animation Labor Shortage
Case Studies: Gender Inclusion Programs
Below, an overview of the Women in Animation World Summit 2022 agenda:
What does Gender Justice Look Like Around the Globe?
The theme for this year’s summit is “Gender Justice: A Global Call for Inclusion in Animation,” and a full day of activities are planned around the topic on Monday, June 13. The summit will host a group of thought leaders, filmmakers, and executives from around the world to discuss gender justice, defined by WIA as “a system of equity and fairness for people of all genders and gender identities, including men, women, transgender, and nonbinary people.”
Julie Ann Crommett, WIA Secretary/DEI chair, and founderCEO at Collective Moxie, added:
- There is no “one size fits all” solution for gender justice, and its challenges around the world vary as much as geography does. This discussion features voices from around the globe that express what women, nonbinary, and transgender people face in the international animation industry and what gender equity looks like for them.
- Moderator: Eleanor Coleman, VP at Les Femmes s’Animent
- Speakers: Mounia Aram – founder and president, Mounia Aram Company (Morocco); Paula Boffo – director, comic artist, Ojo Raro (Argentina); Maureen Fan – CEO and co-founder, Baobab Studios (U.S.).
How is Gender Justice a Solution for the Labor Shortage?
- The animation industry is experiencing a workforce shortage. This panel talks about the future of animation labor as well as how people from underrepresented genders are uniquely positioned to help provide solutions to this very real problem.
- Moderator: Jill Hopper – head of global production planning and strategy, DreamWorks Animation
- Speakers: Adrianna “AJ” Cohen – senior VP/global head of production for features and episodics, Mikros Animation; Ramsey Naito – president, Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation; David Prescott – senior VP, creative, DNEG Animation.
In addition to hosting this year’s Summit, WIA is also teaming with the International Federation of Film Producers’ Associations (FIAPF) to host six delegations of filmmakers for the inaugural Stories x Women forum, a new initiative established to increase the diversity of voices in animation globally and create opportunities for women animators from emerging global animation communities who want to tell authentic stories.
- Several organizations share how their gender inclusion programs are increasing access for underrepresented people into the animation workforce around the globe.
- Moderated By: Jena Olson, head of operations, WIA
- Speakers: Deepa Joshi – co-CEO, Incessant Rains; Delphine Nicolini – artistic producer, Les Femmes s’Animent; Sajda Ouachtouki – senior manager, global public policy, The Walt Disney Company; Miles Perkins – UE business director, media and entertainment, Epic Games; Vanessa Sinden, producer, Triggerfish.
Women in Animation has announced the program for its sixth Women in Animation World Summit, to be held at this year’s Annecy Festival.
- Leaders in global creative talent development, animation, and DEI will recap the day’s learnings and discuss the importance of intentional, inclusive talent development as multi-pronged and critical in addressing the needs for unique storytelling, artistic authenticity, and labor shortage solutions in the animation industry.
- Moderator: Julie Ann Crommett
- Speakers: Marya Bangee – VP of Representation and Inclusion Strategies (RISE), The Walt Disney Studios; Chris Mack – director, creative talent investment and development IO EMEA, Netflix; Janine Weigold – manager, animated series EMEA, Netflix.