Here’s what we know so far.
Adult Swim has bolstered its anime lineup, giving the greenlight to a Rick and Morty anime series, as well as Ninja Kamui, a new series from Jujutsu Kaisen 0’s Sunghoo Park. Both series are currently in production and will premiere on Adult Swim and HBO Max.
Rick and Morty: The Anime by Takashi Sano
- Adult Swim has given the greenlight to Rick and Morty: The Anime, helmed by Tower of God director Takashi Sano.
- The series will get a 10-episode arc that is separate from the flagship series but will heavily feature the history and themes of Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland’s original.
- Sano is no newbie to the Rick and Morty universe, dimension C137 or otherwise, and has previously directed the shorts Rick and Morty vs. Genocider and Summer Meets God (Rick Meets Evil).
- “The multiverse-straddling exploits of Rick and the gang pose challenges to the family bond, but they always rise to the occasion,” Sano explained. “It’s such a life affirming sight, and Jerry is no exception. I am honored to have been given an opportunity to tell a new story about this amazing family. I hope you enjoy their adventures!”
- Telecom Animation Film (Lupin III series, Shenmue the Animation, Tower of God) is producing.
Ninja Kamui by Sunghoo Park
- The series’ official synopsis reads: “Ninja Kamui follows Joe Higan who is a Nukenin – a former ninja who escaped his clan and is hiding from his violent past in rural America with his family. One night, he is ambushed by a team of assassins from his former organization who exact a bloody retribution on Joe and his family for betraying their ancient code. Rising from his seeming “death,” Joe will re-emerge as his former self – Ninja Kamui – to avenge his family and friends. Kamui is a 21st century ninja, a shadowy anachronism who pits his ancient skills against high-tech weaponry with brutal finesse. He must face off against trained assassins, combat cyborgs, and rival ninjas to bring down the very clan that made him.”
- Park’s latest feature Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is the fifth most successful anime film in U.S. box office history. It grossed nearly $30 million in the States, and more than $170 million worldwide.
- Takesha Okazaki (Afro Samurai, Star Wars: Visions, Batman Ninja) is handling character design on the series, which will be produced by E&H Productions and Sola Entertainment (Lord of The Rings: War of The Rohirrim, Blade Runner: Black Lotus, Ultraman).
- “This is a story I’ve always wanted to tell,” said Park. “Transgression and punishment of a ninja who loses everything and goes out for revenge, and what lies at the end of his road. I am very excited about this new project and hope fans will be too.”