Since 1974, The Humanitas Prizes have been awarded to honor professional film and television writers whose work exemplifies the art of screenwriting while exploring the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way.
A limited number of fee waivers are available for applicants on a first come, first serve basis. If cost is a barrier for entry, please contact Humanitas.
Writer(s) headshot as a JPEG, PNG, or TIFF file (ideally 300 PPI)
DEADLINE: APRIL 3, 2023
Entry Fee: $100 ($50 for Short Film and Web Series)
Completed entry form
- Please submit script and materials via our Awards Force web portal.
- Project poster or key as a JPEG, PNG, or TIFF file (ideally 300 PPI)
- Submitted material must be written in English. English translations will be accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of scripts writers, studios, and production companies may submit.
- Applicants who are contractors submitting the material on behalf of a studio, network, or other entities who will be responsible for paying the entry fees must put Humanitas in touch with the accounts payable contact you will be forwarding the Humanitas invoice to.
- In lieu of a script, documentary entrants must submit digital video content via direct file upload or as a link via YouTube, Vimeo, or other video hosting service. If the link is password protected, please be sure to list the password in the correct field in the application and ensure the link will be active until August 30, 2023.
- Applicants interested in paying the entry fee via credit card ought to select the PayPal option at check out. Applicants may also pay by check.
- All scripts must have been produced and the final feature film or television episode, either live action or animated, must have been released or first premiered at a festival between June 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023. “Released” is defined here as theatrical distribution, a streaming launch, or broadcast or cable televising of the project.
- Writer(s) short bio (200 words or less)
- Click here to view submissions FAQs
- Unless otherwise agreed to, payment must be received before the project will be eligible for the judging process.
- Should a writing team be selected, cash prizes will be split evenly amongst the writers.
FEATURE & SHORT FILM DETAILS:
- Alternative payment via wire transfer or Square can be arranged by contacting Humanitas.
- Past winners include Pachinko, When They See Us, All in the Family, The Handmaid’s Tale, The West Wing, ER, Hidden Figures, black-ish, Encanto, Good Will Hunting, Lady Bird, In The Same Breath, Women of the Movement, El Deafo, St. Elsewhere, The Bernie Mac Show, Orange is the New Black, NYPD Blue, 13th, and many more. Learn more about what we look for in submissions.
- Humanitas does not consider unproduced or unreleased projects for Humanitas Prizes.
- Broadcast news segments and documentary shorts are not eligible for the short film or documentary categories.
- PDF of shooting script with credits redacted
- Categories recognize single episodes, not a full series, or a full series compiled in a single document.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Humanitas Prizes are presented at an annual fall event in Beverly Hills, CA, where winners receive a trophy and a cash prize.
- Feature-length documentaries (40+ minute runtime) and individual episodes of docuseries are eligible for consideration.
- All submitted material is kept confidential. Nominated material will be submitted to the Writers Guild Foundation Shavelson-Webb Library unless otherwise indicated in the submission form. The library endeavors to collect scripts which represent the best in film/television writing, including those nominated for the Humanitas Prize. Scripts are never photocopied, put online, or otherwise distributed beyond the library. Patrons must visit in-person to read material.
Unless they are submitted separately, Judges will only review one episode of a docuseries. If an applicant provides a link to a full docuseries and does not specify an episode in the application, only the first episode will be viewed.
If you have any other questions, please contact Humanitas at email@example.com or view our FAQ.
In Children’s Teleplay, if a program airs two episodes in a half-hour block, each episode is treated as its own script. Combined scripts are not eligible.
Click here to go to submissions portal